Monday, June 9, 2008

Does This Seem Like a Bad Idea to Anyone Else?!?

The idea being, of course, Naomi Campbell birthing a child as a way to "calm down." Apparently, Naomi had some sort of surgery to take care of a physical issue that was preventing her from becoming pregnant, and now says,

"Now I can have a child and I would like one. I’m even willing to have one without a father. I know that I am ready...I know that with a baby I would change, I’d calm down. With a child you cannot accept compromises. You have to give your full self."

Hmm. Having no children myself, I realize that I'm no expert on the best reasons to have a child, but I think I can safely say that "to change myself" is probably right up there with "to make him marry me," "to keep us from getting divorced," etc. Now, I'm not saying that having a child wouldn't have that effect on Campbell; I'm sure it would, in fact, calm her down a bit. Not that she's the type of person who needs to calm down or anything.

But, I think we really have to ask ourselves, "Are we ready, as a society, for the offspring of Naomi Campbell? Do we need this baby?"

Like a cell phone to the head.

No comments: