Thursday, May 3, 2007

Let the Countdown to the Grey's Spinoff Begin

I swear, I'll blog about things other than Grey's Anatomy. But tonight is a BIG night. Reasons why I absolutely do not think this spinoff will work:

1. Do we REALLY care about Addison that much? I mean, yeah, she's got great hair, and she's kind of sassy, and I liked it when she danced with the Chief a few episodes back. And she gave us one of the Greatest Moments of Grey's Anatomy, when she walked into Seattle Grace on the finale of season one, smirked at Meredith with disdain and said, "You must be the intern who's sleeping with my husband." BAM. That was a cliffhanger. And that was an entrance. Unfortunately, I have a feeling deep within my soul that her exit will not be quite as affective.

2. Along with the question, Do we really care about Addison that much, I think we must ask ourselves if we really think that Kate Walsh is a good enough actress to carry a new show all on her own. Nothing annoys me more than when an actor turns his or her back on the very show that made them a star in the first place. Does Kate Walsh not remember David Caruso and his self-implemented departure from NYPD Blue? Did she not see the movie Jade? (Whose tagline, quite accurately, was "Sometimes fantasies go too far." I'll say. Poor David Caruso and his fantasy that he might actually have a career in feature films.) Although I'll always be grateful for Caruso leaving, as it allowed Mark-Paul Gosselaar to re-enter the world of television (and actually achieve no small amount of redemption), I don't think you'll find a single person who would argue that it was a good career move. And spinoffs are especially hard...remember the debacle that was Joey? All I'm saying is, the odds are against her.

3. The premise of the show, according to US Weekly, is as follows:

"Addison road-trips to Santa Monica, California to visit her med school pals, who now run a chic wellness clinic-- replete with a new-agey shaman!"

Look, I'm already getting a little bit sick of Miranda's charity clinic. Do I really want to devote an hour of my life to watching a tv show about a 'chic wellness clinic' ? Just that description gets on my nerves.

But hey, it could be great. Only time will tell. In any case, US Weekly also says that this week's episode will have Sandra Oh searching for a wedding dress, which I have a feeling will be nothing less than great. Now she could have a spinoff. I'd watch that shit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! Thank you!

Patrick Lovelace said...

you write about true variety

i am stuck with books & turds

help!