Tuesday, May 1, 2007

the post where I talk about summer projects


I love summer projects. Half of the time, I don't complete them, and the other half of the time they usually look like complete crap, but God bless me, I love summer projects. Early this morning, my beau and I slipped out to Goodwill. Goodwill is usually a bust for me, but this morning I found a nifty little bookshelf that had my name all over it. As a graduate student in poetry, I have, unsurprisingly, a large amount of books, and am therefore always looking for new ways to store said livres. The books that have been resting on my window sill, developing unslightly bends and ridges from being stacked too high, now have a home in my new Goodwill find. But the bookshelf is an ugly color, two steps away from pepto bismol pink. Enter summer project #1: paint the shelves. I'm thinking red. Here's the bookshelf, pre-paint (yes, I already put some books in it...I wanted to see how many could fit (a surprisingly large number). And it was new and exciting!)


2 comments:

E said...

I have found success with American Tradition furniture paint from Lowe's. They sell it in small, managable cans. I used it to reapaint my furniture my last summer project...which will also be this summer's project.

kat said...

I like it! Summer projects are great. I'm thinking of painting all of my bookshelves the same color at some point--right now I have four in faux-cherry finish, two in faux-oak, one in blue, etc.... So, I'm thinking black. I think that would be a nice, standard color. Or maybe I'll go with faux-walnut just to mix things up a little.

So, one of my friends works at the Corcoran Museum of Art here in DC, and I recently went to their Modernism exhibit. One of my favorite things in the entire exhibit was called a "Penguin Donkey bookshelf." It was created in the 1940s or 1950s to fit all of Penguin's new mass market paperbacks--which were all exactly the same size. Don't you sometimes wish that all of your books now were the same size so that they'd fit more easily on the shelf?