Tuesday, May 1, 2007

the post where I talk about grey's anatomy

Specifically, the character of Meredith Grey. Whom I hate. I will say, she has gotten better these last few episodes, as the whining has ceased and we've actually seen her (gasp!) smile a few times. But as one of my friends pointed out at dinner the other night, Grey's Anatomy has a problem that seems to afflict a lot of television shows: their main character is really, really annoying. Dawson Leary? Annoying as hell. Angela Chase? SOOOOO annoying (and come on, she was up against Brian Krakow and Rayanne Graff...you know it's bad when you come off as annoying even next to those two). Lauren Conrad? Okay, refreshingly less annoying on The Hills than she was on Laguna Beach, but again, I think it's an issue of the juxtaposition: all she has to do is keep hanging out with Heidi and Spencer, and there's no way she'll be the most annoying person on that show.

But I digress. The conversation I was having with my friends gradually turned to Ellen Pompeo getting punk'd on MTV a few seasons back, an episode which surprisingly few people saw. And this is unfortunate, because it is AMAZING. I think the reason that I hold Meredith in such disdain is because, after viewing said Punk'd episode, I realized just how freakin' crazy Ellen Pompeo is in real life. She is a badass bitch. And not a "Hollywood" badass bitch (ahem, Courtney Love...), but truly, truly, a badass bitch. She is a badass bitch who will cut you. She is a badass bitch who will (as you will see) go to lunch in what appears to be an angelic, white, flowy nightgown, and then proceed to say of the waitress, "I just can't believe this broad is sweating me like this at this table...she'll get attention. She'll get it from the prongs right in her clavicle." And all of this while delicately eating crab cakes (that apparently don't do much for her). If that's not the anti-Meredith, I don't know what is.

Go here to see the awesomeness that is Ellen Pompeo being punk'd.

4 comments:

Wishydig said...

Daa-yumn. Did you notice how many accents she used throught all that? She was making sure she sounded up to it.

Oh yeah: N.b. the link had a bunch of extra http stuff on it. And so do some of the sidebar links.

righty-o

anna said...

thanks, Mike...still getting used to this...I tried to clean up the links...we'll see :-/ (that's supposed to be a nervous smile)

Casey said...

Do you think Ellen learned what a clavicle was on the set of Grey's??

Casey said...

No, wait... now I watched this video and I can't believe it. Michael's right: I'm not even sure Ellen Pompeo knows who she is or how she "really talks."

This confirms my suspicion that Hollywood insiders never stop acting, ever.

I just CAN'T DECIDE whether I hate the "real" Ellen Pompeo more than her her Grey's character!!! Wow. My head's going to explode.