Friday, May 2, 2008

Celebrities-- They're Just Like Us!! They Have Too Much Time on Their Hands in the Summer!!

Much as the languid days of summer have left me with all the time in the world to devote to things like blogging, reading Little Women, and watching 7 (count 'em) episodes of America's Next Top Model in a row, John Mayer seems to have similarly found himself in need of a summer project.

I've always had mixed feelings about John Mayer. And by this, I'm not really talking about his music, most of which I'm just kind of indifferent towards. I know I could get in trouble for even saying that, because his music does seem to stir up feelings of intense nausea for many people. For me, however, it just stirs up...nothing. I don't hate his music; I just don't really care about it one way or the other. This is very similar to how I feel about Anne Hathaway, and I Am Legend, and Oklahoma, and feta cheese.

So when I say I've always had mixed feeling about John Mayer, I guess I'm talking more about his "personal life," as they say. I mean, this is the guy who seemed to attempt to turn Jessica Simpson into a dark-haired, artistic, "deep-thinking" person. I remember at one point in their relationship, she was talking about, bless her heart, releasing a book of photographs she had taken of clouds. He also let her leave the house in this. So those are obvious points against him.

However, scoring several points in his favor is John Mayer Has a TV Show, the show in which he, among other things, dresses in a bear costume outside of one of his own concerts in order to interact anonymously with the fans. This show is genuinely very funny, and makes me think the whole Jessica Simpson thing was just an embarrassing, big-boobed sidetrack on his way to bigger and better things (say, Jennifer Anison?).

Anyways, also scoring points in his favor is the newest project he has taken on, detailed here in his personal blog. The basic plan? To get his hair looking as close as possible to one Alex P. Keaton, aka Michael J. Fox.* It's moments like this when I think I can ignore "Your Body Is a Wonderland" and just focus on the ironic, jackass side of John Mayer. That's the side I like. And for this project, I applaud you sir.

*little known fact: Michael "J" Fox's real name was actually Michael Andrew Fox, aka Michael "A" Fox. He changed it as he found himself making the transition from normal person to celebrity, as he didn't want his fans to think him a cocky bastard by making the statement "Michael's a fox" with his initial. Share that at the next cocktail party you find yourself at...the people will love you.

4 comments:

Jon Sealy said...

I think John Mayer the person is what stirs up such feelings of nausea. For what it is, his music isn't terrible, it's just fluff. But some combination of it being overplayed and him having a douchebag image creates the nausea. Kind of like with Jewel.

anna said...

Please, I've seen that dog-eared copy of A Night Without Armor in your room...denial's just a river in Egypt, isn't it, Jon?

Unknown said...

You misspelled Jennifer Aniston.

Nicole said...

I'm glad to see you're putting the book to good use.